Saturday, March 29, 2008

Contributing An Article That I Never Reviewed Before Publishing

As a copywriter, I do not mind contributing articles or copy to start up magazines who need copy in exchange for free advertising. I have and still do it since it is just part of the business and networking.

I finally received a copy of one of the issues where I was asked to contribute an article about being owned by two dogs, and things to do with our dogs in the area we live since the entire issue was about dogs. I read the article and pull up my original draft to compare and YIKES! The published article doesn't even sound like me! The style and voice isn't even close to mine AND there were mistakes!

I always send a draft first to the editor to make sure I am on the right path of the type of article they want in the issue. I did the same thing this time, was asked to change the direction a bit which I did. Sent back another draft and then didn't hear back from the magazine editor.

The article that was published was pieced together with choppy sentences (like what I would correct when I taught English to my students), sentences were added that sound awkward and mistakes! On top of it, this lovely piece of writing has my name on it!

Yes, I understand it was a contribution and the editor has the right to do as she pleases, but in the past she has always sent me a proof to approve before going to publish and this time she didn't. Was there a reason I didn't receive the final say for this issue? Now I know why; because my contribution was totally butchered with a different voice and mistakes!!

It is a local, new publication and I just hope if anyone reads the article it doesn't reflect badly upon PearlyWrites writing capabilities as I am trying to build our clientèle locally in Arizona. If anyone does happen to read the article, "The Joys of Being Owned by Dogs" with my name on it, please please please do not judge our company's writing from this one publication and ask for samples from us directly.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home